Thursday, June 5, 2014

Temple Restaurant Beijing

Like finding a gold among black sand particles, it is always satisfying to be able to discover a great restaurant. It feels even better when the gold is actually a western restaurant in Beijing. To be honest, I have been struggling in these last few months searching for it. And thank God, I finally found it! My parents visited me last week and I did a little "research" for good-reviewed western restaurant here. Yes, it is Temple Restaurant. Rated as restaurant of the year 2014 by Beijinger.com, most of its customers are pleased not only because of the mouth-watering food, but also because of the amazing services. On the contrary, they also complained about its location, which is very hard to find. Taking a cab is highly recommended.

This Ignace Lecleir's Restaurant is located in the compound of a 600-year-old Buddhist Temple. The conversion is an impressive and delicate balance of the ancient old and new. It basically serves contemporary European cuisine. When we arrived at the entrance gate, there was a waiting staff who "killed" us with her kindness. Once seated, we had our minds blown away and it lasted throughout the evening! I ordered its spring tasting menu (458RMB) with lobster as its main course. I am truly aware that it is costly, but trust me, it is exceptionally reasonable. 

Firstly, we were offered by a complimentary of sparkling wine and petit four, and the followed by homemade bread. 


Petit Four.

Homemade Bread.

Okay, for the appetiser, I chose Gravlax (a dry-cured salmon marinated in herbs), Egg, Capers, Shallots, Horseradish Cream. The staff literally prepared it in front of us and explained all of the its elements clearly. I have never taught that the combination of salmon and horseradish cream worked that well! Thereafter, I chose a heavier dish for the second appetiser, which is Roasted Bone Marrow, Short Rib Marmalade, Herb Salad. Honestly, the short rib really spotted on! It was so juicy and sweet as well. 

I was quite full after two appetisers, yet I had such a high expectation for this asian-style main course. I chose Rice Flake Crusted Lobster, Bok Choy, Coconut Curry, Chilli Garlic Oil since the other option was Duck Confit, and to be honest, I am not a big fan of it. I finished it until there was nothing left on my plate, and even the lobster shell was so crunchy to the extent that I didn't realise it was a shell. It was truly a mind-blowing dish! Last but not least, the dessert: Butterscotch Budino, Bourbon Caramel, Bacon, Celery. Compared to other menus, I was not so pleased with it. It was too creamy for me. 

Gravlax, Egg, Capers, Shallots, Horseradish Cream.

Roasted Bone Marrow, Short Rib Marmalade, Herb Salad.

Rice Flake Crusted Lobster, Bok Choy, Coconut Curry, Chilli Garlic Oil.


Butterscotch Budino, Bourbon Caramel, Bacon, Celery.

Beside the food itself, the stand out for myself though, was the staff and their royal service. They anticipated our every wish and made it such a memorable dining experience. Furthermore, the staff helped to take picture of us, printed it out instantly, and gave it as a souvenir. Bravo for TRB!


No comments:

Post a Comment